Friday, April 1, 2011

The Jamaica experience

So this is the first time ever I've blogged but through my everyday experiences, questions and observations always abound and so what better time to start than to talk about my Jamaica experience.
I was very fortunate to be able to come to Jamaica through a private foundation to work in various pediatric clinics and wards to learn.
My first day getting here was, as most of my friends would say, a TYPICAL Cyrilyn day.
I drove to Atlanta the day before, got up at 5am (central time) on the day of travel to leave the hotel and catch my flight. One of my bags kept singing, as I must have packed one of the toys too close to the periphery and everytime the bag hits against something it triggers a song.
I have not traveled with 4 bags (including a very heavy suitcase) in FOREVER. It turned out to be a work-out. I got to the airport, paid my overweight charge and without incident, proceeded to my gate. As the time neared for my departure I recognize we werent moving. My flight to Miami had been delayed about 35 mins for maintenance of the plane.
I rechecked my connecting flight time from Miami to Montego Bay and realized I may miss that connection. The lady assured me that if that happens she will just place me on another flight (didnt even think to ask at that point how far off the next flight was).
The projected time of departure came and again we werent boarding. Ok now, there is 'weather' in Florida and we are delayed yet another 30-40 mins. Now I know for SURE I'm not making that connection. 45 mins passed and we get on the plane. Thank God, I am soo sleepy, I cant wait to get on and take a nap. We get on the plane without incident. I lay my head on the side of the plane and quickly fell asleep. At some point I woke up because I wanted check to see if we were in the air so I could recline my seat. Needless to say I looked out the windown and concrete was still below me. I then checked my watch and realized we had not moved for the last 20-30mins. Then like a well orchestrated play, the captain comes on overhead and says, guys we are delayed for another 30 mins for 'weather'!!!! Yep, it is turning into a Cyrilyn Day!!!
Oh well, nothing I can do about it so I get my phone and start looking at other flights as one of my coworkers and friends suggested I stay in Miami overnight and leave for Jamaica the next day. Sounds like a plan to me especially since all the remaining lfights I saw required that I fly to NY for a flight to Montego Bay the next day anyway. Ok phone had to turn off because we're off again.
True to their word, there was 'weather' on the way down to Miami. I felt like I was in a washing machine or better yet, in a jeep driving uphill on a dirt road.
Somehow with all the turbulence I managed to sleep and woke up when the plane started sounding like it was gonna fall apart (aka we were landing).
We got to Miami and I got to the gate to find that the 'NEXT' flight to Montego Bay is at 820pm (at this time it is 2pm).
Better yet, the lady says that flight is booked but she can get me on standby. I asked, really? Cant you just confirm me then on a flight tomorrow rather than me sitting on the airport for 6 hrs to find I cant leave and have to stay overnight? She said no, lets try it this way first.
So I go to the said gate I'm suppose to leave from and ask ANOTHER agent who was able to confirm me on the booked flight.
So I sat on the airport for 6 hrs.
FINALLY got on my flight and was soooo glad that soon I can see a bed.
We got to Jamaica, no incidents in Immigration or anything. The walk from Immigration was puncuated with photographs by a local photographer Alan Smith that captured my attention because there was a storyline behind the pics AND they were beautiful. They capture people and areas of Jamaica. I then got to the carousel to pick up my bag and guess what? NO BAGS! In fact about HALF the plane had no bags!!!! (Are all those bags on a tarmack somewhere saying pick me, pick me??)
Of course with there being HALF the plane with lost bags and ONE agent to fill out our claims we were in the line for over an hour before I could get my claim done.
Ok, that's done......I finally leave the bowels of Sangster Airport and go find my transportation.
Ahhhhhh the Couples Resort lounge....cool, relaxing, done in a blue green tranquil color. I sat there and waited on Torian, who is a welcoming and nice guy (not so hard on the eyes either). He got my information and we chatted about nothing really. After he was finished he took me to my bus, where I met my driver Tommy.
Tommy then informed me that it takes 1hr 45 mins to the hotel.....AHHHHHH Sleep I need you but yet again you're so elusive!
Tommy loves his job! He says driving is his hobby, he knew the roads like the back of his hand. I tried as much as possible to stay awake and see what I could, even though it was dark. Tommy pointed out where they mined or made boxite (aluminum) and exported. He showed me the area where Dunn River falls is, when we hit Ocho Rios, and was quite friendly. Of course the Montego Bay area is where the majority of resorts and 'rich' people live in Jamaica.
He asked if I had any Wrigley's (ha ha) aka gum. That reminded me of how we use to call all soda's Coke.
We continued on in silence for a while before I asked him if this was his last drive. He said yes but that he had to get to Montego Bay in the am so he was going to sleep by the resort in Ocho Rios.
So I asked, oh you stay at the hotel? He said no he sleeps in his bus :(. He said it so matter-of-factly like its nothing and there I am with that eruption of guilt bubbling up like bile.
I tend to do that, feel GUILTY ALOT for my blessings because there are so many who are not as fortunate. And while I must admit, all my trials and set backs that day did not affect me or aggravate as much as it would have many years ago it still did.... but at that very moment I was reminded again about what is important.....not plane delays or lost bags but our experience and interaction with others on this earth, the life that God blessed us with. Its all about a purpose to make things better, to enrich people's lives. And while Tommy didnt recognize it, he was the best ending to my day...to see someone so alive and loving life even if he does not have, what we materialistic humans consider, much.
Ok today is a new day and why I have NO idea why I'm awake before 8 when I went to bed after 1 I'm now off to track my bags, maybe eat and tour the compound I'll be calling home for a while.
Ta ta until the next time....hopefully I keep this going and its not SO long everytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment